1. “My country is taking over in tennis”. Yevgeny Kafelnikov
2. Andre Agassi: “Let’s see what you’ve got, big boy.”
Andy Roddick: “Hair.”
3. “I think the medical term for the injury is “the bottom of my ass hurts” – Andy Roddick
4. Interviewer: “So, are you enjoying New York?”
Roger Federer: “It’s OK for two weeks.”
5. “The trouble with me is that every match I play against five opponents: umpire, crowd, ball boys, court, and myself.” – Goran Ivanisevic
6. “If Pete’s (Sampras) child is a girl, my son will like her; if he’s a boy, my son will defeat him.” – Andre Agassi
7. “My feelings are Yevgeny Kafelnikov should take his prize money when he is done here and go and buy some perspective.” – Andre Agassi
8. “No one is friends with Hewitt and he does not worry me at all.” – David Nalbandian
9. “Actually, I tossed it nicely – landed nicely, like airplane. No warning, beautiful. That’s the art of throwing racquets.” – Goran Ivanisevic
10. “It has meant a lot to me to challenge the best players in the world and to beat them. And it means a lot to me to be out here and fighting for the title and, you know, it hurts not to win it.” Andre Agassi.
11. “He is a sportsmen and gentleman. on the court and beyond.” Bjorn Borg on Ivan Lendl.
12. “Being number two sucks”. Andre Agassi.
13. “let my racket do the talking. That’s what I am all about, really. I just go out and win tennis matches”. Pete Sampras.
14. “I play each point like my life depends on it.” Rafael Nadal
15.” I can cry like Roger; it’s just a shame I can’t play like him.” Andy Murray after losing to Roger Federer in the final of Australian Open 2010
16. “I’ve had some decent wins this year against higher ranked players but what I’ve failed to do is to build on those.” Tim Henman
17. I was told I could do more for Croatia by playing winning tennis. Goran Ivanisevic on deciding to stay in tax exile in Monte Carlo.
18. “Win the last point!” Jim Courier , when asked for the French final before the match.
19. “Girls are a distraction and can easily cost points.” Boris Becker
20. “I fear no one, but respect everyone.” Roger Federer
21. “To beat Federer 3 times does not mean anything he is a genius whose hair does not even move when he plays.” Guillermo Canas
22. “All this selling himself as a gentleman is not true. He is the worst rubbish there is” [on Tim Henman.] David Nalbandian
23. “It’s great that it’s come so late because when you start your career at 16, and your first quarter-final arrives at 33, it’s a long time. It’s 54 Grand Slams in between” [on reaching Oz Open quarter finals in ’06] Fabrice Santoro
24. “Some say that grass is for cows. I guess clay is for making bricks.” Greg Rusedski
25. “If you’re 90% then you shouldn’t play because the difference between being top 10 like Andy is and top 80 or 100 is maybe 5%” James Blake
26. “The dumber you are on court, the better you’re going to play.” Jim Courier
27. “He was grabbing his private parts at me, numerous times, and I asked him if he had an issue” [on playing Coria in the Davis Cup] Lleyton Hewitt
28. “Roger [Federer], he brought tennis… one level higher. Normally he toys with everybody. With all respect to other players, he does whatever he wants on the court against them. It’s incredible what kind of game he can play.” Marat Safin
29. “I was thinking that if I hit his nuts, maybe he would serve like a woman.” Thomas Muster
30. “On my deathbed with a 110-degree temperature, I wouldn’t lose to you.” Ivan Lendl [who had beaten Brad Gilbert 15 straight times, told Gilbert in the locker room after he overcame a 4-1 deficit (and two service breaks) in the deciding set to prevail for the 16th straight time.]
31. “You can’t be considered a great player unless you win Wimbledon. That’s the way it is.” Mats Wilander
32. “My fines? I pay more fines than some guys’ career prize money on the tour.” Goran Ivanisevic
33. “My only good result in 1997 was marrying Brooke Shields.” Andre Agassi
34. “He’s the biggest jerk in Tennis” Ivan Lendl on Horst Skoff
35. “I saw Murray play Massu at Wimbledon but I don’t know him that much. Was I impressed by his game? No.” Marcelo Rios on Andy Murray
36. “Umpires are like emotional girlfriends, once they make up their minds, there is no point in arguing” Dimitry Tursunov
37. “I’m not Mr. Nice Guy, I’m a tough cookie” Thomas Muster
38. “I don’t take Wimbledon, like a really important thing. Tennis when you see it on grass, it’s not tennis. It’s not a surface to watch or play tennis on; it’s really boring. You just serve, return, go in, that’s it.” Marcelo Rios on playing on grass
39. “Lleyton cheers for other people’s mistakes and is very aggressive. It is very difficult not to feel provoked. But as a person, I would rather not win a single tournament than be like Lleyton.” Guilermo Coria on Lleyton Hewitt
40. “I’m motivated much more now. I’m hitting balls cleaner and I’m enjoying playing more…Sometimes I think, ‘Man, I was too good.’ But I try not to compare my game today to how I played back then. Right now I just try to play day-by-day. I’m just going to enjoy every day.” — No. 30 Marcelo Rios thinking back to his days at No. 1.
41. “He’s up there. But (Marat) Safin, on his game, is as hard to beat.” Lleyton Hewitt
42. “He could be as dominant as Michael Jordan was or Michael Schumacher, Tiger Woods, you name it. Unfortunately, he has the talent but not the desire to be the world No. 1.” — Russian Davis Cup captain Shamil Tarpishchev on former No. 1 Marat Safin.
43. “I listen to him most of the time, some of the time I switch off.” Andy Murray on coach Brad Gilbert.
44. “I think that always myself is my worst opponent. I always playing against myself first and then to the other one. So I’m playing against two guys during the match…It’s like mentally I don’t know what is gonna happen in the next ten minutes. Maybe I get depressed in ten minutes. I don’t know myself too much…Yeah, I was working with a psychology, and I still.” Gaston Gaudio.
45. “I didn’t play my best but I won. He was a lucky loser but I think he went out of luck today.” Tim Henman
46. “I’ve been around so long that I might be in record books for being the longest, weirdest, most pathetic great player ever. Look t how precocious I am at 33.” Vince Spadea
47. “Tim likes to dish it out the barbs, but he doesn’t like to receive them” Vince Spadea on Tim Henman
48. “Radek is a nice guy off court, always shaking hands and saying hello, being courteous. Yet on court he changes 180 degrees and becomes amazingly annoying to play against” Vince Spadea on Radek Stepanek
49. “It seemed to me that Rios tanked his matches more blatantly than others” Vince Spadea on Marcelo Rios
50. “While I got along with him, I could see he was a difficult character. He was apathetic about everything and always had a snarl on his face. Rios was callous and mad but amusing.” Vince Spadea on Marcelo Rios
51. “You can learn from the way he hits the ball early and returns serve and he moves very well. Rios is a great player.” Guga Kuerten on Marcelo Rios
52. “His backhand is as good a shot as you’ll see in the game.” Andre Agassi on Guga Kuerten
53. “In this job it’s like beasts of prey in a cage” Marcelo Rios on Pro Tennis
54. “I just don’t see a good future for him” Andre Agassi on Pete Sampras (1989)
55. “Tennis is a world out of touch with reality” Sebastien Grosjean
56. “Once you get his serve back, he’s easy to play because his game is predictable” Ivan Ljubicic on Andy Roddick