I’ve always been fascinated by match ups. Trying to predict the outcome of a tennis match is far more than simply looking at respective rankings, form or fitness. In some cases, certain players simply are ‘in the head’ of their opponent. Players who you think should cruise past another player does not always happen and once the seeds of doubt are sown, a certain player can be a monkey on their back that is tough to get off.
Here’s my top 10 oddest, strangest and baffling head-to-heads:
1. Marat Safin (2) vs. Fabrice Santoro (9)
Marat was utterly bamboozled by the French Magician
2. Richard Gasquet (0) vs. David Nalbandian (7)
Richard just has no answer for Nails
3. Robin Soderling (1) vs. Roger Federer (16)
No-one beats Robin 16 times in a row. Except Roger.
4. Gilles Simon (2) vs. Mikhail Youzhny (7)
Mad Mikhail seems to inflict a world of pain on poor Gilles
5. Fernando Verdasco (0) vs. Rafael Nadal (11)
Hot sauce looks pretty mild against Rafa
6. Mardy Fish (3) vs. Andy Roddick (9)
Fish gets foiled at every turn against A-Rod
7. Andy Roddick (2) vs. Roger Federer (20)
Forget about it.
8. Roger Federer (8) vs. Rafael Nadal (17)
Rafa is like Kryptonite for Roger
9. Tim Henman (1) vs. Lleyton Hewitt (9)
Tim was always shaken and not stirred by Lleyton
10. Feliciano Lopez (1) vs. Radek Stepanek (7)
The battle of the serve-volleyers always leaves F-Lo in the mud